Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Perennial Herbs

As I looked through my seed catalogs, I have been looking at the perennial herbs and I' thinking that I would like to add several of this perennial herbs to my garden this year. My goal this year seems to be to plant as many perennials as possible. I am especially interested in easy to grow perennials. The problem I've noticed with easy to grow perennials, however, is that when a perennial is easy to grow, it is also invasive. To keep them contained, I think I will plant them in car tires.

At the top of the list would have to be the mints. I definitely will have to have peppermint and since my daughter loves spearmint, that will also have to be on the list.

I would also like to add bergamot. Bergamot grows wild around here and I recently had some in some Earl Grey tea. I had never had Earl Grey tea before and I really enjoyed it. Earl Grey tea is simply black tea with begamot. (Bergamot is also known as bee balm so it will also help draw bees to my garden.

Then there's the traditional cooking herbs that are also easy to grow. I thnk I'll add oregano, parsley, sage, chives and common thyme to the list. All of which are easy to grow perennial herbs.

I will start these herbs from seed first in pots in the house. Sometimes this doesn't work so my first backup plan would be to start them from seeds in the garden. If that doesn't work, then I'll buy plants from the same company that I bought the seed from. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

The garden supply company that I am planning to use this year is: R. H. Shumway's www.rhshumway.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment