Friday, May 14, 2010

The Decision for a Lifestyle change

Around the Fifteenth of March I got some kind of virus. The virus had cold symptoms and soon developed into what I would guess is bronchitis. The illness dragged on for two weeks which is the sickest I have been in many years. In the beginning I tried several over the counter medications that didn't seem to work. I was afraid that I would have to go to the doctor and get antibiotics in order to get over this thing. I don't know where the idea came from or why I decided that this was the best thing for me but I realized that I wasn't hungry. I figured if I wasn't hungry then perhaps I should try fasting. After all, didn't the old adage say: "Starve a cold?" I didn't opt for an all water fast because I was afraid of electrolyte imbalances so instead I opted to include juice.

For those two weeks I didn't eat anything solid, nor did I want anything solid. I was miserable but I was content that this course of action was the right one to help remove toxins from my body so that it could fight off what was obviously more than just a virus.

During these two weeks not only did I not eat but I hardly had the energy to get off the couch so I did a lot of thinking. I was finally realizing that I needed to take better care of my body. All those promises that I made to myself about eating better foods and getting proper exercise I hadn't yet followed through on. I vowed to myself that this fast was the beginning of a lifestyle change.

In my next post I will explain how I did transition from the fast to what I plan is a lifetime long lifestyle change.

No comments:

Post a Comment